A pixels indicator, often known as DPI, is seen in computer mice. It uses to test the sensitivity of your mouse and to alter the speed of your mouse cursor by adjusting how many pixels per second it moves.
Understanding your DPI is essential while playing video games or utilizing software that requires precision cursor placement. It also makes using widescreen monitors and many displays a lot easier.
In this article, you will find how to check mouse DPI.
What is the DPI (dots per inch) of the mouse?
DPI is an abbreviation for dots per inch. It’s a measurement that shows how many pixels your mouse can move in a single inch. If your mouse has a DPI of 1600, for example, moving it one inch (2.54 cm) will proceed to the cursor 1600 pixels on your screen.
The higher your mouse’s DPI, the more sensitive it is. Modern gaming mice, for example, have DPIs of up to 20000. Although this may appear to be a disturbance, many people who use big or many monitors appreciate the ability to move the cursor more quickly.
While most people are concerned about DPI, it is crucial for video game players. Many people speculate about the ideal DPI level to shoot precisely in First Person Shooter (FPS) games.
You may alter your mouse DPI in various methods, then check your current DPI to remember which level works best.
How to change the DPI of your mouse in Windows 10?
Many individuals wish to change their DPI level to increase or decrease sensitivity. You’ll feel more at ease and be able to operate your smartphone more efficiently. With optimum sensitivity, you can get more done and enjoy your gaming experience even more.
Here are some options for changing your DPI.
Method 1: In the Settings app, adjust the mouse sensitivity.
This strategy works well with a mouse that doesn’t have a specific DPI button. Fortunately, the Windows 10 developers didn’t forget about folks who use older computer mice, and they provided an easy way to modify mouse sensitivity for everyone.
You may easily modify your DPI using the Settings program.
1. To open the Start menu, click the Windows symbol in the bottom-left corner of your screen, then select “Settings.” You may also use the Windows + I keyboard shortcut.
2. Select “Devices” from the drop-down menu.
3. Using the left-side panel, navigate to the “Mouse” tab.
4. At the bottom of the page or in the right-hand panel, click the “Additional mouse options” link.
5. Using the Mouse Properties window’s header menu, select the “Pointer Options” tab.
6. With the slider under ‘Motion,’ you can change the pace of your mouse. Moving the slider head to the left slows down your mouse while moving it to the proper speeds it up.
7. We recommend disabling the “Enhance pointer precision” setting because it has the potential to mess up your DPI.
8. Then press the OK button. The difference in mouse speed should be seen right away.
Method 2: Change the DPI setting on your mouse.
The majority of gaming mouse have a dedicated button for altering your DPI on the fly. You may change your DPI in any program by switching between presets, which may or may not be configurable depending on your mouse.
Typically, the DPI button is found beneath the scrolling wheel. It’s modest compared to the other buttons, and it may even have the word “DPI” printed on it.
You may cycle between the default DPI settings by pressing the button once, and they steadily become higher and higher. Instead of cycling, some mice may have two buttons to increase or decrease the DPI.
Are you unsure which button controls your DPI? We recommend looking for your mouse’s original box, which should have graphic labeling for each button. You can search the manufacturer’s website for your model on the internet.
How to check the DPI of your mouse
There is no unique Windows 10 program for testing your DPI that comes with the OS at the time of writing. It is a problem since many individuals would like to understand their mouse DPI clearly and straightforwardly.
Here are the three methods that we can recommend for you to check the DPI of your mouse.
Method 1: Examine the product’s specifications.
Many brands use this method. Most large manufacturers have a website to list their items, replete with details and photographs. It intends to pique clients’ curiosity, but it can also benefit people who have already purchased the goods.
1. Go to the manufacturer’s website to learn more. We went to the official Razer website in our circumstance.
2. To find your mouse model, utilize the built-in search engine
3. Look for the web page’s technical details and double-check the DPI count.
If you can’t locate your mouse on the manufacturer’s website, we recommend contacting customer service. Many companies provide customer service by e-mail or phone.
Method 2: Construct a drawing with Microsoft Paint.
It may appear to be a ridiculous method of determining your DPI, yet it works almost exactly. Because MS Paint allows you to view your cursor’s pixel, you can do a small experiment to choose your DPI.
1. You can find MS Paint by searching for it in your taskbar or your list of programs. You can find MS Paint
2. Increase the zoom level to 100%.
3. Place your cursor to the far left of the screen and select any brush tool. The first value in the bottom-left corner should be 0.
4. Move your mouse about 2-3 inches while holding the left mouse button. Look at the initial number in the bottom-left corner without moving your mouse and write it down.
5. Rerun this process as many times as needed, then average the results. It is your DPI setting.
Method 3: Make sure you have the proper mouse drivers installed.
The manufacturer provides the driver software for most branded computer mice. Even if the hardware contains extra buttons and functions, it allows you to modify how it behaves.
You may be able to check your DPI after installing the appropriate mouse driver. We’ll utilize a branded Trust GXT 177 Rivan RGB Gaming Mouse for this example.
1. Go to the manufacturer’s website to learn more.
2. To find your product, use a search engine.
3. Look for an area where you can download the driver software, then select your operating system from the drop-down menu.
4. Launch the app after installing the driver. You should be able to find a section dedicated to DPI settings, which will allow you to see your mouse’s DPI.
To Wrap Up
On the Devices page, click on “Mouse.” Click on “Additional mouse options” under “Related settings.” In the “Mouse Properties” pop-up, click on “Pointer Options.” Adjust DPI using the slider under “Select a pointer speed.”
We hope that this post proved helpful in determining your mouse DPI. Keep in mind that DPI is adaptable; you don’t have to stay in a single sitting; instead, assign different alternatives to different activities. Visit Fastsoftwares for more helpful articles.